Health and Safety Plan
First and foremost, STEMful’s highest priority is to safeguard our staff, parents and kids. We feel extremely fortunate to be able to support families that need childcare during this unprecedented time. Our ability to be able to operate is largely due to our community respecting the shelter-in-place order to help decrease the spread of the COVID-19. Our community continued diligence has helped our city officials provide the proper guidelines for re-opening. We are committed to providing a safe and fun environment for our community.
We are following the guidance set by the Center for Disease Control and Preventions, along with state and local policy to ensure we are meeting proper social distancing and have implemented an increased cleaning measures. You can read more on the new directives provided by the Department of Public Health for summer camp providers.
Below are the policies and procedures that we are putting in place to safely host our summer programs.
We will continue to update our policies and procedures as we get updated information.
– All staff members will wear a mask and maintain at least 6’ a part when working and interacting with each other, parents and children.
– Anyone showing signs of illness of any kind, or who may have been exposed to COVID-19 should not be at camp, no exceptions.
Symptoms of COVID-19: fever*, cough, and shortness of breath or difficulty breathing.
Other symptoms include chills and new loss of taste or smell. Children may exhibit vomiting/diarrhea.
*Fever is determined by a thermometer reading 100.4 or higher (100.0 or higher if using a contactless thermometer) or by subjective signs such as flushed cheeks, fatigue, extreme fussiness, chills, shivering, sweating, achiness, headache, not eating or drinking.
While symptoms in children are similar to adults, children may have milder symptoms.
Drop-off Procedure and Mask Requirements
Pre-arrival: Please check your child(ren) for any symptoms of COVID-19 and to keep them home if they are showing any signs of illness.
Designated Drop-off and Pick Up Caregiver: If possible, we recommend the same parent or designated person drop off and pick up your child everyday. Please consider those that are at low risk for this task. A mask MUST be worn at all times when interacting with our staff.
Current CDC guidelines recommend that everyone over the age of 2 wear a mask when out in public, if they will be closer than 6 feet to another person. We are asking that parents send their child to camp with a cloth mask or face covering that the camper will wear as needed throughout the day.
Upon Arrival: Only 1 caregiver and 1 child will be allowed in the entryway during drop-off. Caregiver and child(ren) MUST wear a mask. All others are encouraged to wait outside with 6’ for proper social distance. Tape will be marked on the side walk to encourage the practice. We will ask parents to sanitize their hands using a contactless hand sanitizing dispenser before signing in their child(ren). Before escorting or directing the child(ren) to their assigned room, a staff member will take a temperature reading with a contactless thermometer.
While we love an open-door policy, for now you will need to say quick goodbyes at the door and not enter STEMful beyond the entryway. Caregivers will not be allowed into the main space or classroom. Lingering is strongly discouraged in order to limit contact with other family groups.
STEMful Camp Group Assignment, Set-Up and Food
- Our education studio has two levels. Each level has a bathroom. Children will be assigned to a small group of 8-10 kids and will remain on their assigned level throughout the week. Each group will be assigned a group name and will remain with the same kids and same two teachers.
- Children will not socialize with children from another group during snack, lunch or outdoor recess time. Children will be assigned to their own area unless they are siblings.
- Each child will have her/his own materials and toys for use throughout the week. Materials and toys for each child will be cleaned/disinfected at the end of the week. All children will be encouraged to wear a mask and practice social distance while in our program. The position of our tables will allow for proper 6’ social distancing. Staff will remain at least 6’ away from children during instructional time, but may need to be closer if a child requires assistance.
- Snacks and lunch, and a water bottle will be provided by the caregiver. We asked caregivers pack items that are easy for their child(ren) to open with minimal assistance from our staff.
Hygiene Practice and Cleaning Procedures
- STEMful has always had a NO SHOE, ONLY SOCKs policy. This policy will continue and children will be asked to remove their shoes upon arrival, and placed in an assigned cubby before going to their assigned room.
- A contactless hand sanitizing station will be set up at the front entrance, so that staff and children can clean their hands before they join their group. We will be encouraging children and staff to clean their hands using soap and water throughout the day. Contactless hand sanitizer stations will also be placed at various areas throughout our studio for easy access. Contactless hand soap dispensers are already available in our bathrooms on both levels.
- All children will be encouraged to wear a mask or a shield during their time with us.
- Common areas and highly touched areas such as the bathrooms, sink handles, door knobs, handrails, tables, chairs, gates, and light switches will be disinfected regularly throughout the day and at the end of the day.
- Toys in our main level PlaySpace, and all pillows and cushions on our sofas will be removed to reduce the surface areas that we will have to clean and allow us to focus more teaching and engaging your children. Our sofas will be covered with a cloth paint cloth and washed at the end of the week.
- Children or staff who develop symptoms during the day: if a child or staff member develops any symptoms of illness during the day, the child or staff member will be sent home as soon as possible.
- STEMful will contact parents as soon as symptoms are noted and will wait with the child for the parent to arrive. While waiting for a sick child to be picked up, staff will stay with the child isolated from others.